Who doesn’t love a wonderfully cool home amidst the blaring heat of summer, but at what cost? If you, like many home owners are struggling to keep your home air conditioned without breaking the bank, worry no more! Managing your summer air conditioning bills can be a tough task but these tips will help you cool your home in a much more economical way.
Measures you can take within your home
Dialling up the savings on your air conditioner is not just limited to the unit itself but rather extends to all aspects of your home. Here are a few ways you can get started:
- Keep all the doors and windows in your home closed and draw over the blinds and/or curtains to prevent the heat from penetrating through. Adding to that, refrain from hanging black curtains as they absorb heat.
- Keeping your air conditioning unit’s condenser cool further helps in keeping your costs low. Ensure the condenser outside your home gets as little direct sun light as possible.
- Planting shrubs and bushes around your home and also near the condenser can help with keeping your home cooler not to mention it is more environmentally friendly.
- Investing in ceiling fans or portable fans in conjunction with using the air conditioner is an excellent way of circulating the cool air within the home. Fans are also an economically viable way of keeping your home cooler.
- Look into investing in window awnings or window screens to help minimize the heat entering your home this summer.
- Seal up any air leaks you notice within your home. This tip not only works in saving you those extra dollars in summer but also works for the winter months so seal away!
How to prepare your air conditioning unit for the summer to maximize savings
To further lower the costs of cooling your home in summer, air conditioning maintenance is extremely important. Following these simple steps can allow your air conditioner to work in a much more effective manner, leading to great savings for you and your family.
- Invest in a quality air conditioning service before summer hits. As the seasons change and you approach the peak period of use, it is important to insure that your air conditioning unit is working efficiently. Calling in your trusted air conditioning contractor to have a look is a great preventative measure.
- Keeping your filters clean is another key aspect of summer air conditioning maintenance. Dirty filters can cause your air conditioner to work a lot harder, using up more energy and adding to greater bills so replace the filters every three months.
- A great tip for keeping those hefty bills at bay is installing a programmable thermostat. This allows you to customize the settings of your air conditioner to optimize savings. For instance, programming the thermostat to a warmer temperature during the night time or the times when you are away from the house will add to your savings without compromising on your comfort.
So if you are struggling to keep those air conditioning bills in check this summer, follow these tips for great savings! For more information on home cooling, contact H & H Heating and Air conditioning, your trusted air conditioning maintenance company.